Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Beginning

Here I am, back in the cyber world. My acceptance into Camp Mighty brings me out of the shadows, and into the public place of documenting my dream to reality accomplishments, and the  small adventures of food, fabulousness, and folly that make my world a better place. 


As a fairly solitary bear I hesitate to publicly put pen to paper - however, I love the magic, and if not magic, insight, that can happen within a supportive community. So, without further ado:


Ann Patchett wrote a long essay on writing called The Getaway Car, this quote strikes a major chord for me:

  "I believe that, more than anything else, this grief of constantly having to face down our own inadequacies is what keeps people from being writers. Forgiveness, therefore, is key. I can’t write the book I want to write, but I can and will write the book I am capable of writing. Again and again throughout the course of my life I will forgive myself."


So true - the passages that surround this, about being willing to take your perfect mental picture, and birth it however imperfectly into the real world gives me the impetus to get my dreams dirty, and reach out of the ill fitting box of safety, and into the world of infinite success, and failure, humanity, and possibility. So scary - so exciting. These are the roots of reaching out. 









No comments:

Post a Comment